Monday 17 January 2011

Title: Super Flat Mario!

So, I've been contemplating recently the way Video Games have changed over the years. The thing that really brought it home to me was when my 4 year old niece saw me playing an old Super Mario game and said “Why is that flat?”

I was somewhat scandalised, I mean, it's not like she's never seen a 2d game before, she plays them on her mum's DS but it was just the complete shock on her face because she's played Mario on my Wii usually and it's Super Mario Galaxy and here was Mario as flat as a pancake.

She sat with me and played it once I explained that it was a game from when I was a little girl, she laughed and said “That was a long time ago!”

I'm only 25... but oh well I suppose 25 to a 4 year old is quite ancient. We played it for a half hour and said she had to go do something else. I followed her into my dad's room where she said “Granda, can I play your Xbox?”

There she was, 4 years old, playing my dad's Xbox kicking butt on one of the Shrek games. She then declared my Mario Game as crap...I wonder sometimes what the world is coming to. I suppose at least she likes the old Sonic games.

I remember being completely fascinated by the Atari games, but I remember when I was about 5, maybe 6, my brother Hugh got his first Super Nintendo. I remember thinking after that “Wow it's so cool compared to the Atari” and all the games of the Nes/Super Nes/Genesis era are my 'classic games'

Its funny how now the same thing happens with my niece. Classic super Mario is pants to her like the Atari was to me, her classic games when she's older will be Super Mario Galaxy and Shrek 2. I wonder what she'll be fooling around with? My new gadget right now is Kinectimals on the xbox and she's only 4 so, to her that's not new, it's just always going to have been there.

I was born in 1985 and I've seen it go from Green Screen technology to 3D motion sensor capture. I can't wait to see what games my niece will be talking to her friends about when she's 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment