Monday 24 January 2011

Artistic Progression

I've been reading a lot of webcomics and fanfiction since I was 15. I started writing Harry Potter fanfiction and thats where I met my other half, through writing so it always makes me smile still when I do it. I don't really write very much except when participating in the NANOWRIMO, but I still enjoy it.

I've wanted to get into drawing more in the past 5 - 6 years and I got photoshop recently and a Wacom Bamboo tablet. It's gorgeous, I love it and I love drawing. I used to use Serif to draw, a free version and a cheap Trust Tablet. I thought they were great and they did me for what I was trying to achieve a few years ago.

I started drawing semi seriously in 2007 and of my first pictures I drew my favorite is of Arvahnna;


The background is pants bit I liked her staff and the wings and the general feeling of the drawing. Since then I think I've gotten much better. Part of me wants to redo this piece, another says to leave it be. I also sometimes think I should take down my older stuff but I still like my old drawings and I like to see the progression between Arvahnna and one like Senaleah.



I like her much better, it's no where near as pixelly and it's more detailed. Knowing I was only using this as a character profile page I didn't do a big fancy background. I'm not gonna use either these girls for my comic, these girls are in another story that me and the other half write for kicks.

For my comic, I want to go down a much more cartoony/sketchy route otherwise i'd be there all day drawing one person never mind a whole comic page. I have another idea as well for a silly comic that I might end up posting here.




I'm thinking this will be my cast of characters. The eye up top is how most of my random sketches start, pay it no heed, I just like drawing eyes. I want this here for a first drawing to see how my art progresses for the comic as I don't want to post it on Deviant Art.

I think this week I'll continue on an art theme!

2 comments:

  1. Eyes can be hard to draw. I used to stat with eyes, then nose and mouth, and then the head shape. Now I start with the head shape and fill in the face last.

    That's some seriously awesome progression given the time frame. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've always really liked drawing but never really practiced enough to get better at it until the past few years.

    Hoping to get better with time, i've gotten more patient with my drawings over the past couple of years and hope to see some progression with my cartoon style as well :D

    ReplyDelete